Sunday, April 12, 2015

Leaving

Leaving in the morning is probably the hardest part if the day. Especially if you have a premo spot. Like last night, I slept in that pavilion while it rained. Only used my sleeping bag too, no tent. But then the morning comes, and you look at the day ahead and think, oh joy, I may end up in a ditch soaked and miserable tonight. Its a hard thing to leave behind the comfort over and over again, not knowing what the day will bring. The walk started by embracing the unknown. But each day, that lesson is learned again, and it reinforces the need for faith. I'm not necessarily talking about faith in God, but that's there too. Its about accepting that good things can and will happen to and for you if you let them. Expecting the worst of life and of people has prepared me for a very unsatisfying life that I lived with certainty. Good things aren't all around and don't happen for everybody. But they never happen if you guard yourself against them. So here I am, about 15 miles away from my dry pavilion, looking at the rain outside and hoping I can spy a good spot nearby. Its late and wet, but I'm going find something, even a damp or wet spot. But that's life. And if tonight's spot sucks, I will keep myself open to the possibility of a good spot tomorrow night. After all, adventure isn't bred in comfort.

1 comment:

  1. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

    ReplyDelete