Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Ugh...Tallahassee

Another misstep in judgement yesterday. I was just outside Tallahassee at the Mickey Dees and decided yo press on and look for a spot. It wasn't quite sunset, so I strode onwards. Only onwards, was middle America, yards and houses, and no spot for the night. Instead of going back a few miles I crossed Tallahassee hoping to reach the other side and make it to the rural areas where I could sleep. I have to say FSU looks like a really nice college. And the stadium is a work of art. Anyway, I passed though some more trendy areas where the FSU-ites like to mingle, then made it as far as the sidewalks would go on this side of the city. Being someone who learns from his mistakes, I did not press on into the back country. Instead I holed up at a bus stop bench. At least until it became to cold, and I realized that I desperately need sleep. But my feet were simply not having any of my plans to find a more suitable hole. So I stayed at the bench for several hours.at about 1am, I had had enough. I made for a patch of trees, burrowed my way in and setup my tent. It was so close to the sidewalk that I wad concerned about being noticed. My camouflage tarp in great, until someone flashes a light on it and sees how shiny it is. And then I'm just like anyone else who pitched his tent 10 feet from the sidewalk. I did sleep, but woke up frequently. It was better than nothing though. And now its morning. I broke camp before the light touched the sky to ensure my stealthy retreat. There's a park a few miles outside of town, lake talquin. Aunt Sally just made a donation to my burrito fund, Thanks Sally! So I may bypass a few burritos in favor of a campsite with a possible shower. And a place to do my laundry would be great. I can deal with the infrequent bathing. But after walking a marathon each day, my clothes take on a very undesirable aroma. I have a roll up bucket, and if I can figure out how to rinse my clothes without using up lots of precious water, I would do that. This morning I'm headed backwards a mile to get some groceries before heading out of civilization, and maybe a bite to eat at Mickey Dees. For those who want to know, my grocery list is simple, chef Boyardee and fruit cocktail. Here's hoping the day turns bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment