Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Concerns

I do have some concerns about my walk across America, but they are mostly comfort related. When I was a younger man, I hitched across eastern Texas, and at other times I have lived out of my car. So I do have a sense of what to expect. But my hope is to do the walk with an adventuresome spirit and not like some travelling homeless guy. My concerns are with...

  • Cleanliness: I would consider myself somewhat fastidious and like to keep reasonably clean. I have taken a shower everyday for most of my life, and on the walk that's not really going to be an option. I figure there will be lakes, streams, and a friendly neighborhood garden hose now and again, but nothing I can count on. I did get a collapsible bucket and I have some antibacterial wipes. I think my best chance to get clean daily is to use the wipes when I bunk down at night. 
  • Bugs: Skeeters and their ilk are a big concern. Skeeters like me alot and I dont want to blow my budget on bug spray. I have used Bounce dryer sheets before, and they work okay. I know my clothing choices will play a big part, making sure all my skin is covered. But with the sun and heat I need to find a happier compromise. 
  • Stealth Camping: Not finding a good place to bunk down by nightfall worries me. I know I will find something, but not to keen on hunkering down without using my tent. 
  • Foot care: I know my feet arent really up to speed like they should be. I have led a very sedentary lifestyle for several years, and my feet are soft. Also, I hadnt realized how uncomfortable most shoes I have owned really are until I envisioned having to walk 10 plus miles every day. The sandals I bough the other day are okay. I like that they let me feet breathe, but the heel strap feels like it might cause problems. I have some comfy sneakers, but they dont really have the kind of bounce I like. Thinking about (god forbid) Crocs. I have never worn them and generally consider them for those preppy granola's who voted for Obama. But if they might provide some good relief on the walk, I will consider them.
  • Safety: I'm tall and have sort of a stark Nordic kind of demeanor.So Im not super worried about human threats overall. Also, I trust my instincts, so tend to avoid confrontations. Im more worried about wild animals. I didnt realize it until I did some research, but black bears seem to be all over Florida. Add to that snakes, gators, and mean dogs; and I start to feel a little uncomfortable. I have a knife, and ordered some bear spray and that eases my mind a bit. I would like a nice solid walking stick too. Hopefully i can find one at the start of my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment