Friday, April 24, 2015

Pilgrimage

I woke up in complete darkness, and even after waiting to see if my eyes would adjust, the darkness stayed. It was very disorientating and somewhat scary. To wake in a strange wood, in the middle of no and where, and unable to really see. Slowly, the light came to the sky and I could make out the trees, and soon after the forest floor. I broke camp early, just wanting to be away. I donned my florescent yellow vest as soon as I hit the roadway and started my walk for the day. I passed through Coden, and Bayou la Batre, and got to thinking about some things. The houses and businesses were older here compared with those of Florida, and you could feel the history going back a hundred years. And though I'm always careful, I didn't feel that scary redneck vibe. Though the locals might be rednecks, they are an older breed, more nobler, if there is such a thing. Yesterday a local was walking down a road that intersected mine, then continued walking parallel to me on the other side of the street. He was youngish, wore a fat bill cap backwards, and his shirt over his shoulder showing off a few tattoos. He was friendly and we talked a little as we walked. Then we came upon a bridge and I stopped to rest, but he kept going. After sitting for a moment, I looked up and dude was gone. On either side of the road was a canal, and he was just gone. Maybe he hitched a ride in complete silence. Its funny though. In the comfort of home, a rationing reasoning mind is your best weapon. But here on the walk, faith and acceptance are more powerful. I've also compared my journey with that of a holy pilgrimage, and I wonder how different my walk is from that. My hope is to make Mississippi today.

No comments:

Post a Comment