Tuesday, May 5, 2015

New camp rushing technique

The new technique involves stamina, quickness and alot of dumb luck. I call it the headlong rush. About a hundred feet from the roadside is the safety of the woods. In front of the woods are bramble bushes and dead trees. I checked my map and saw there was nothing resembling another tree line for 3 miles. That's past my get a spot timeframe and past sunset. Sitting by the roadside gets a fair amount of attention. Who is tho guy? What does he want? Does he plan on staying? Are my doors locked? So sitting next to the road is okay but only if you're moving on. Staying by the roadside for any length of time and then camping closely by creates a security issue. Hundreds of cars will pass you by, but not all are locals. Most are just passing by headed to further destinations. The dumb luck part is making the headlong rush when you hope no locals are passing by. And ad its name implies, you try to position yourself as close to the potential spot as possible, then make a lunging rush to the safety of the woods. Tonight, that entailed going over a steep hill, through thorny bushes, in which trapped and stopped me cold. Kinda embarrassing really, but I untangled myself and continued rushing into the cool shaded alcove of trees. I forgot to put on my dark hoodie beforehand with the long sleeves; so now I have all kinds of scratches on my arms. But the next step is to wait. Not go any deeper into the woods but still hidden. Gotta give time for people to make calls and drive on out if they're inclined. I was outta luck anyway, so at least this way, I have a chance of setting up camp before dark. Hopefully no on notices that two foot wide path I made from the roadside to here. Maybe they will attribute it to a big boneded dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment