Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Rules of the walk

Sitting under a bridge just outside Tylertown, and waiting for the light to fade. Bridges are good because they are close to the roadway, not private property, and fairly deserted. So getting out of sight quickly is easy. Like I said before, sitting for too long by the road draws unwanted attention, especially towards sunset. The only real worry is locals coming down to play. My map app isn't google maps, but I can do a birdseye view, and that helps me check out the terrain ahead. The next few miles are houses and businesses with not much in the way of wooded areas. So I'm under a bridge, and I can go into the nearby trees if the bridge becomes a problem or I get a weird feeling. But so far so good. There are a few rules I go by on my walk, and though every rule has its exception, I've found the following to be pretty solid. 1. No walking after dark! 2. Don't wait to fill up your supplies or use the bathroom; your next chance might be too far along. 3. If you find a premo spot, camp it and take the rest of the day off, because they are too few. 4. Always be polite and friendly even to the mean ones, because you don't want them tracking you down. 5. Farm roads and big cities are not your friends. 6. Camp on the side of the road you walk. The rules are a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment