Thursday, May 14, 2015

Stealth camp spotting

Finding a good spot is all about understanding a drivers vision and what he/she sees. The goal is to get a spot close to the road, yet under enough cover and out of line-of-sight of any cars. If you're in the city, this is much harder, and you have to contend with any homeless population. Being by the road is preferred because the noise usually will scare off any animals, but its also good to have potential help nearby. I like spots that are on hills, curves, and on raised ground if possible. As a driver, going over a hill, you're nit concerned with what's 20 feet into the woods, you're focused on the road. The same thing applies to curves. If I can find a spot on the latter side of the curve, I figure drivers are focusing on straightening out with their eyes on the road. Sure there may be passengers, but most times their eyes follow the road. Or that's the hope anyway. In Mississippi I've found that just on the other side if the crest of a hill to be perfect. Usually the ground is angled so that even a few feet in, my spot is hidden completely. Getting into a good spot also requires terrain that favors you. Some heavy brush on the outside for cover, but then a nice woodland forest theme inside. And if you have a cart, there are other factors to consider. When making the rush from the road to the cart sized hole you spotted in the foliage, will your cart leave tracks? I have camped in some great spots, confident of my anonymity, only to realize in the morning that I left a trail through the talk grass that looked like Godzilla came that way. Spotting a campsite after dark is easy. Look for a good entry point, go in, and then hope there's not a twenty foot drop. Also before I leave the road, I usually strap down anything that might get caught on bushes, don my dark blue hoodie to avoid scratches, but also to cover my bright clothes, and make sure my gear is organized so its ready for an easy setup. As I get further west and the landscape changes, I'm sure this will change. But for now, it's what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment