Thursday, March 26, 2015

Salem

So my refuge didn't last long. I make it a point to stay clear of private property and no trespassing signs. I setup my tent off an ill-used road with none of that, but broke my first rule of setting up before dark. Sometime around 7, I heard a truck rattle by and stop, then heard a man calling out. I didn't respond, and the truck rattled away. I broke camp because I don't like anyone to know where I'm sleeping. Both sides of the highway are marshy and as night approached I was worried about finding a good camp. Then I saw some lights up ahead, one was a church sign and the other a small post office (one of those small town ones with a boxes that stays open all night, where I am writing this). As I approached the church sign, I checked my phone for their number, and called it. No answer. But a truck pulled up about 50 feet away and shown their headlights on me and yelled out we don't want any! I guess they assumed I am homeless. Then I walked to the post office and the creepily followed me. I tried calling the sheriff but no answer. I didn't want to leave in fear that they would run me off the road and claim oops! So I just waited inside the post office charging my phone. A sheriff did come by, ran my ID etc. His name was Hooker and a good guy. He suggested I stay the night at the post office or walk wearing my reflective vest. I am a little concerned with leaving the safety of a the post office, and Hooker said it was cool if I stayed till morning. Of all the dangers of the road, ignorance is the one I fear most. Not sure if I'm going to walk the road at night, or stay here. It depends on whether the locals keep up their antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment