Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Day 31

I was very energized earlier, and somehow thought it would be a great idea to continue after dark. I figured there would be sidewalks the next fifteen miles as there have been the last 50. But alas I was wrong on both counts. My new magic sneakers started pummeling my feet with all the new muscles they had to use breaking in the sneakers. And the last five miles were daunting. My decision to walk after dark was also, again, a dumb decision. The whole area is fairly decent and this time I wasn't worried about bears and such. But its just hard to find a spot for the night, at night. At least, not without drawing alot of unwanted attention. Heck, maybe I just need to live on the edge once in a while. But I just kept walking. About 7 miles up the road is a day park in Navarre, and I figured if I could make it there, I could maybe find a spot under a picnic table or something. But then I spied a fire station across the road, and remembered the advice of my new friends from Denmark (not Denmark SC btw. I know alot of you were thinking that) about staying at a fire station. They said to be sure to call ahead, and they will likely host you for the night. I didn't call ahead but crossed the road and crossed my fingers. I knocked and they answered. I was quick to explain, I was walking across America, and just needed a place to pitch my tent. TJ called his station chief, but confirmed it was okay. Currently in a side yard of the station, in my tent, and very thankful to the crew of the Florosa firehouse.

1 comment: