Friday, April 17, 2015

Lamed

Was downtown when Manny lost his footing and went down. The front tire attachment completely broke off from the cart. I just stopped in the middle of the road dumbstruck. Early on, the front tire was wearing really thin, so a few weeks back I bought a new tire as a replacement for when the tire was spent. This I had not planned for. I could still tilt the cart on its back tires to move it, but that way was cumbersome on my arms and back. So there I was, in the middle of downtown, 2 hours before sunset, with a busted cart. And I did what any normal person would do, I found a bench and I posted it to my social media. That fixed everything. I figured if I got enough likes and shares, the problem would be solved. Luckily, I didn't have to rely on that. My brother in law texted and suggested a hotel, which he would take care of through my burrito fund. So I looked one up about a mile away, and it was a budget inn. I let them know I was walking and about an hour away, to let them know I was omw. The mile I walked was uphill, and not normally a problem, but for the way I had to precariously balance my cart while walking. Crossing one of the busier streets, I saw a cop car, and it crept up as I got to the other side. As the officer got out, I broke into my sleep, I'm walking across America blah blah blah, and explained about my wheel. She was very nice, and probably the prettiest police woman I have ever met in real life, but she cut me off to let me know she was responding to an alarm, and promptly went across the street. I just assumed that she wanted my id to run, just like the past 20 law enforcement officers. She came back, and suggested a bike shop 13 blocks the wrong way. But I thanked her and moved on. The area is predominantly black, but nicer and I def wouldn't call it a ghetto. But as I was passing a house, one of two girls on the porch said, hey a white guy, as if it weren't an everyday thing. The budget inn is not the budget inn. Its an independently owned place and the owners seem nice. The place is very well cared for but old. I took a shower first thing, then cranked up the ac. My stuff is everywhere, and were it not for that energy drink, I would be asleep. I feel like the place has fleas, but haven't as yet caught one in the act. And when the ac is on, I hear hip hop playing somewhere. When it's off, I don't hear anything. Bill, my brother-in-law says he will figure something out and for me to rest. That's probably what I should do. Thanks everyone for your encouraging words! It makes things better when things go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment