Friday, April 3, 2015

Onward

Today was nice but boring. I finished up ny laundry and basically did nothing. I was planning on staying another day here, but my feet are at about 80%, and good enough to walk. I am really just ready to be out of the south and should be into Louisiana within the next two weeks. Once I get further west, then I won't mind stopping for more than a day or two. Years ago I read a book by Robert Silverberg called the feast of st. Dionysus. It wad about a guy who after returning from a mission to Mars, found much of lifes meaning gone. So he headed out into the desert, similar to the Mars terrain in an attempt of reconciliation with himself. He came across a communal group that believed that salvation came by way of getting drunk on wine and attaining what they called the ocean of god. It was an unusual SciFi book written in the hippy era, but there was an allegory that has stayed with me through the years, something that struck home, about an oasis in the desert and finding home there. Similarly, I hope to find my place out west.

1 comment:

  1. I think the oasis and the desert are always portable but the home is always stationery. " wherever you are, that's where you're at"

    ReplyDelete