Sunday, May 10, 2015

Onwards

Stopped at walk and got a small cooler and filled it with ice. I also got some new socks and some other necessities. Today is hot but tolerable. I think that I was just overwalked. It's important to not lose site of the adventure part of the walk, and not get bogged down by the day to day. Then it becomes something like a job and not a fun job. The Mississippi river is my next goal. I've seen it before, but never stopped or slowed down enough to really see it. It also marks my entry into another state. It's about 75 miles away regardless of what my crappy phone GPS says. I stayed up too late last night and therefore slept to late this morning. Todays walk is only about getting me outside town and into a good spot for the night. The few I pass on the street comment about the sorry shape of my wheel on the cart. I just hope it gets me to Shreveport. Because now I have another item to carry, the cooler. One of the people that stopped to ask how I was doing yesterday, mentioned that working in construction out here, they would work till eleven and start again at three because of the heat. I can't take off four daylight hours but I think that taking 12 to 1 or 2 may be a necessity. Otherwise, I just need to push through the miles and get through to Alexandria. Once there, I'm headed NW and should encounter cooler weather as I go. For the last week I've only made 12 -15 miles a day and mostly on the low side. Which isn't terrible, I suppose. I try and remind myself that I'm older, and in some cases much older than the other folks walking across America. But its also just walking, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment