Saturday, June 13, 2015

Countdown

"It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten-thousand men could you do this. It is folly. "

Been thinking about this quote from lord of the rings lately in anticipation of the next leg of the journey.  I'm excited and am having trouble thinking about anything else. Technically I'm good and have the gear and supplies needed to resume the walk. But there are little things that make life a little easier that I plan to get. Another large thermos style cooler with a screw on lid, for more ice capacity. A bin or tub to help better organize my cart and keep my gear dry. Maybe a tan tarp if they have one, to better conceal my tent in the desert. And if I could find a way to rig a cup holder to my rickshaw poles, that would be awesome!
I'm also getting tired of tuna. So may try some other canned foods that taste better. I've been getting more of an appetite lately and need food with flavor.
Spoke on the phone with Keith from the atlantic2pacific walkers. They are in texas as well, but walking a more southerly route. We share the same apprehensions about camping, water, and dangerous wildlife, and exchanged ideas. It was nice to talk shop with someone experiencing the same journey.
Though the walk ahead has some definite challenges, I am ready to go out and meet them.  This last week or so off, has been a saving grace and so thankful to Brian for offering his home and hospitality to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment