Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My gear now

My gear now versus when I started:

Main:
Dog Jogging Stroller w/ solid inner tubes -  a cart is a must,  and solid inner tube as well. But be wary, the solid inner tubes don't place as much tension on the rim and can cause the rims to warp in extreme conditions. I've learned to treat my cart like walking an elderly man down the stairs.

El Cheapo Tent - my tent has gone through alot, but it's easily to put together. I only wish it was a darker color and rain proof.

Sleeping bag- I replace my huge 20 degree one for a small compact 50 degree version as the temperatures increased.

Sleeping mat- It's a blue foam walmart deal and us pretty amazing. I cut it longways so it wouldn't be so wide, and about 6 inches off the top so it wouldn't be so long.  My only complaint is that in the humidity, if it gets wet, it takes forever to dry.

Tarp- since my tent isn't waterproof, this this does the trick. It's also dark camo, which helps hide the tent. I wish I just had a better tent because with this covering it, it gets hot. The other bonus though is in a cold spell it cuts the cold by about 10 degrees.

Bug spray- vital in southern climates, but not as much in texas.

Bounce Dryer sheets- haha, they don't work for anything.

Atlas- a space waster.  Everything I need is on my phone.

Suntan lotion- I used this every morning at first, but sweated the stuff off my face. Now I'm so tan, there's just no point. I keep it for days I may have to walk without a shirt.

Trash compactor bags- these work in place of a dry sack. I still have one, it's got some holes, but I use it to cover my cart at night, and keep rain off it. I also use it to sit on in the grass.

Ziploc freezer bags- these carry all my toiletries and medicines.

2 Smaller backpacks- now I have a large walmart backpack, and the other is my tent bag.

2 Rubbermaid bins- not needed.

Bear Spray- still have it just in case. Good for all forms of animals, including the human kind.

Folding stool - lol, don't bother.

Tools:
Gerber knife /w whistle - still have it, never used it. Kind of a security blanket.

Magnesium fire starter - bah!

Lighter - just in case. Them desert nights are supposed to be cold.  And I can camp on blm lands which are visible,  so no fretting a fire.

Spoon- the only utensil I need.

water tablets- never took them as they didn't come in time.

Para-cord- I use bungee cords for all my paracord needs.

Duct Tape- I've got a small roll. Thus far only used to patch up tent.

Keychain flashlight- only used for night walking.

screwdriver/plyers- still git em for any pros with my cart.

Clothing:
Rain poncho- had several. May as well use a trash bag to cover yourself for all the good they do.

Bandannas- only one made it. Vital for keeping bugs away. Also good for cooling down, by keeping the back of your neck from the sun.

Hat- Monroe is absolutely needed.

Sandals - gone. Buy better quality than I did and they may do the trick. But walking the side of the road encourages pebbles to hitchhike and every ten steps, I was having to stop to remove them.

Sneakers- buy Hugh quality,  the only way to go.

Sunglasses- unless it's super bright, don't bother.

Sock Liners- handy at the begining. Now my feet are hardened.

Socks- I have a thick pair of tent socks for when it's chilly, and 3 pairs of thin polysomething or other fir my walk. I go through socks fast.

Sport Underwear - lost so much weight, I have to pull these things up, but they still do the trick. Odor resistant and no chaffing.

Toiletries:
Toothbrush- yep

Toothpaste - yep

Washcloth- yes, but used very infrequently.

Toilet Wipes- or baby wipes. To keep clean every night. But also handy if you need to do your duty under a bridge.

Scissors- yep

Razor- yep

Bar soap- now I just keep hotel soaps from my infrequent hotel stays.

Deodorant- yep.

Cologne- gone

Trimmer- gone

Shampoo- I use soap instead and only in hotels, but on the road, there is no shampooing your hair.

Microfiber towel- gone

Medical: I still have all this, but it's used infrequently.
Vaseline
First aid cream
Tweezers
Roll Bandages
Iodine
Aspirin
Benadryl

Electronic:
Smart phone- vital
Charger
Solar Charger- vital
MP3 player- yep
Computer- the walk is no place for a computer. Water damage.

I spent the days before the walk preparing for any eventuality.  And I got most of the basics. But really,  unless you're going completely backwoods, you're going to be close to stores, and can get what you need on the way. It's funny to me to see the things I thought I would need, but turned out to only weigh me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment