Thursday, August 6, 2015

In life

I was watching a surfing documentary earlier and it showed alot of people just living for today.
I have always wanted things, don't get me wrong, I've always been a minimalist at heart, but felt that money could help me do more things. I wanted a nice house,  a nice car, money in the bank etc. I still do. But looking at my llife, 46 years in, I see that my active years are closing in. That may be a wrong way to look at things, but it's reality. Another 10, maybe 20 years and I won't be able to do things I can do now. 
While all my friends from my younger days have risen through the ranks of corporate america, or started a thriving business, I've been living on the edge of the poverty level. I'm not all that motivated to make money, if it means doing something I don't like. I also enjoy my down time, which entails a couple of good books and a comfy chair. Working towards making money to get all the material things I really want, makes me nauseous.  Work for me, has always been a means of subtracting time from your life, and a life of work doesn't appeal to me.
I'm not married, no kids, and really no responsibilities. What would be the point in working for years to save enough to buy the things I want, just to buy things that I can't take with me when I die? This doesn't mean I no longer want money and have sworn off possessions. It just means I am no longer willing to subtract time from my life at a crap job longer than absolutely necessary.
I want a car, because it sure beats walking. And a place the I own, because I hate the idea of rent. It could be a hut on a lot of land in the middle of the desert for all I care. I like the idea of being self sufficient, yet still have the perks of civilization. My goal now is to save for a car, then land and an rv. I can do all of them for under 10k if I don't mind the location as much. But once I have that, hopefully in the next 6 months or so, which will take me thru winter, I can plan adventure time! 
The AT still appeals to me, but does seem kind of tame compared to my walk. The PCT sounds nice, or the John Muir. Maybe something out of the country.
Truisms and popular quotes about money not meaning everything is trite, but viscerally feeling the need to let that shit go is an awesome feeling. I want to truly live each and every day. That 9-5 thing is a scam and the most unfullfilling parts of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment