Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What if

I was raised in a christian house, more specifically baptist. Then, I was cool with the words of Christ's love and forgiveness speel, but not a fan of all the rest. So I went through life as mostly agnostic. I tried some of the other religious beliefs, pagan, humanism, Buddhism,  and satanism (not what you think). But all of those were more like the rituals or rigid structure I detested from christianity.
The problem was that I just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of faith over reason. That, and there were so many things in the bible that just don't make sense. And that kept me away from christianity in whole and in part. But every once in awhile I would meet a christian that met my standards of what a christian should be. Non judgmental, accepting etc. 
I am an all or nothing kind of guy and had pretty much chucked the whole concept of Christianity and pursued more of a casual belief of my own device. I'm also very much a man of reason. A whole belief that everything that doesn't make sense, should be accounted by faith is stupid.
On my walk I did something different and decided to be led by god and not the bible, nor by christianity. I wasn't led by god to become a bible thumper or holy roller. I was led to love and forgive, and to be more accepting. I feel this is the way to experience the fullness of the walk with god. After all, I'm open to what God wants for my life, and if he wanted those aforementioned things in my life, he would lead me to them.
The key for me was praying in humility.  Before that, I detested the thought of humility, the idea that others were over me that were wiser and knew better. I'm still not a fan.
My life hasn't changed much. I still smoke, I still cuss, and I still like the things I used to. The little that has changed, is the me who was lost, and is now found.  Contentment of countenance.  In the end, being openmided to the posibilities led me here. Therefore I am still open minded to other possibilities in life, other possibilities of thought.
I believe in all paths to god, I believe in reincarnation, I believe that we will all be together when we die, whether we all believe the same thing or not, and I believe in christ. All these things are not mutually  incompatible with believing in god.
It took me long years and a walk through hell to get to a place where I could talk to god and hear him. I wish I hadn't thrown out the baby with the bathwater all those years ago. I think we all pray at some point in out lives whether in desperation or sadness. What if, we didn't have all these messed up ideas of what the walk with god should be, and just follow where he leads? Forget all the rituals of belief be they christian, pagan, whatever. Don't worry about feeling the need to "obey" they bible or be included by another's path. God is the only guide you need. Your walk with god is yours and not for others to dictate.
Check out www.jesuswithoutbaggage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment